Monday, August 29, 2011

Renewing the Quit

Well I'm at it again.. yup, I've gone and quit something else!


This time it's pretty unexpected.

I have quit school.

I have had it on my "To Do" list since January in big red letters.

FINISH SCHOOL

Then it occurred to me that I had a Problem. Yes with a capital "P".

For the first time, I wasn't jazzed to be going back to school in September.

I'm getting to the point in the program where I HAVE to do certain things to "graduate". 
Like Art History. Don't get me wrong. I love the masters.
I draw inspiration of Ansel Adams and Vivian Maier and pray to one day be half as talented.
But I wasn't totally thrilled at being told I HAD to study them (and pay $450 to do it) to be a "qualified" photographer.

I was way MORE excited to sign up to volunteer at the UBC farm. And learn why my tomatoes are late this year but my peas went crazy!

"School"was becoming something I complained about the way I USED to complain about my career.


So I asked myself.. "why am I doing this?"



And it was because I felt I HAD to. People expected me to.
"I'm in school" was an easy way of explaining why I left my corporate job.

There was no "Because I WANT to," in there.

I am, by no means, "quitting" on Photography. I love it. And I want to KEEP loving it.

It's kinda like, "If you love something set it free".


So I'm going to set my photography free for the next 4 months. I'm just quitting the thing that was making it a chore, not a joy.

And in the process, I will open up my mind, my soul and my time to finding NEW joys, new passions and new inspirations. All of which, I'm sure, I will happily record on film :)


Now THAT'S what I call Freedom. 

Savary Island Aug 2011 ©louisekelaher2011




No comments:

Post a Comment